Search Happy Hours

Friday, March 03, 2006

The Underdogs.

Many People have started asking me questions about the radio station that I work for. Its a little difficult to understand how All India Radio operates, But I'm going to try my best to explain it in the next few lines.

All India Radio Bangalore's FM Channel beaming out on 101.3Khz on the Fm Bandwidth has a Listenership of 11 million. They have a 11KW Transmitter which beams out to a Coverage Area of 11,300 Sq.KM. The Percentage Listener Population among Radio Set Owners is 89%.

I currently work as a Radio Jockey for All India Radio, Bangalore, and host Western and Hindi repertoire on the FM Rainbow station. I have been with the Fm station since their launch in September 2001 (Hosted their first show). I have more than 12,000 hours of presentation to my credit. (From Sept 2001 when FM-Rainbow was launched in Bangalore to date). Im also their senior most jock. *ahem*
I produced, marketed and hosted a 16 episode Retro Genre special called “Retrojam”.
I also presented A.I.R’s only western Music “Phone-in” Programme on the MW frequency, for about 18 months. (Before the launch of FM)
I handle production assignments with A.I.R on a freelance basis.

Thanx to this station I have developed skills in Radio Jockeying, Scripting, Production/Design and Packaging of the shows, OAP’s/Sleeves and Playlist & Content management.

My shows have included Genre based specials, celebrity guest appearances, contests, and request specials. (Live phone in, sms and email driven).
My celebrity interview list includes artists like Euphoria, Pundit Vishwamohan Bhatt, Tanya Zaetta from AXN, Parikrama, Strings, Shibani Kashyap, Bombay Rockers, MLTR, and many others.
The format of my shows has predominantly been “CHR”. (Contemporary Hit Radio)
I have developed a definitive loyal audience for myself on AIR. I love my listeners and would do anything to keep them happy and content. I play hits that they want. My request show "The goodie bag" is on everytime im on. I sqeeze in maximum listener names in the shortest period of time. And I play the hottest Hits.
Last Night I gave away 100 Passes to the strings concert this Sunday. Felt Elevating~ :)
Its been flattering getting appreciation bouquets from all my listeners. Thank you!

All India Radio is a government enterprise. Along with the strict rules comes along the hypocrisy, the red tapism and passing of the buck. Ive lasted with them 7 Years now. Seems like a task but its pretty simple if you dont involve yourself in the politics.

FM Rainbow is the channel which beams out on 101.3FM. RJ's like me are called "casual presenters". The transmission takes places in three segments, namely 6am-11am, 11am-5pm, 5pm-11am. I usually only host the evening slots. (Third Transmission)

We're not employees of this magnificant organisation because we're legally allowed only 10 transmissions in a month. Which means im legally allowed to RJ only 10 days a month!
This came about because some smart fella in Calcutta finished around 26 transmissions in a month and then went and filed a petition in the court for employee status. He lost the case!

Now you need to understand that being a government run station, All India radio operates completely differently from private stations (Like 91fm in Bangalore)
Firstly we're not full time employees. The plus point to that is that someone like me can come in whenever he wants and leave whenever he wants. I usually host the thursday shows. But if I have some other engagement on any thursday, I can get it switched,cancelled,postponed. No hassles.
Our transmission quality is decided by studio engineers who , if in a good mood, keep the gain optimised. Every word of ours is monitored. Social awareness and public responsibility is stressed on. (That I would see as a good thing). But then there are loopholes everywhere. I can say "wanking in the bathtub" and they wont know what im talking about, but I cant use the word "SEX". I cant play "sexy eyes" by whigfield, but ive heard jocks get away with Eminem swearing at his pubes! In a way AIR trains you to be careful of what your saying. Ive leart to avoid using brand names, and anything with a commercial value.
Unlike private radio stations, we still put cd's into the cd player (read outdated topex machines) and press the play button. We still have to play some ads through outdated CTR machines, and some jocks even play songs from LP's and DATS. We still have to manually cue our ads, and interloop our soundbeds.

But its fun. Like ive always said. If u can drive an ambassador car on ..say.. JC Road in Bangalore, You can drive any car anywhere in the world.
Its the same principle.

The rules that we adhere to, the log book entries which we write like school imposition, the silly reasons we get called to the programming department for, and the petty issues that crop up are all very disheartening and demotivating at times.
Also the fact that the average listener compares us to the Technology and Positioning driven private networks, keeps us alarmed at all times.

The Irony - .(du-uh read the blogspot title)
The oldest Radio Establishment in the country, being fast outwitted and outdone by newer lesser experianced players.
The misuse and abstinence of use of the Massive studio facilities in bangalore.
The lack of proper programming and positioning of the channel and the station itself.
An entire frequency (for which bidders are bidding crores of rupees) without any direction.

Sometimes one feels Sad. Sometimes grateful. Sometimes Dejected. Sometimes Elated.
Such a glorius enterprise. And a frequency which has some brand value. But the people running it have no clue what their doing. And someone like me , who in AIR's books is dispensible and "small fry" cant do Shit! The jocks have tried so many things over the years. Ive seen jocks come and jocks go. Some last a week, or less, and some months together. Most people see this as a stepping stone to a bigger template. Or as a part time hobby. Thats where AIR loses out!
With worlspace beaming out 40 channels of crystal clear music and with 6 new private players hitting the market and going on air in less than 3 months, I wonder whats going to happen to All India Radios - FM 101.3.



All India Radio has taught me a lot. And in the next few months when I have sold out to a private player, (for monetary and otherwise reasons), I will look back fondly at my days with the underdogs! :)

All India Radio - FM Rainbow. THree Cheers to you.
You are defenitely the "Buffalo Soldiers" of Radio!!
tune into Anjaan on 101.3fm every thursday between 6-7pm and 9-11pm hosting "The Buzz" and "The Goodie Bag"
-------------------------------------------

19 comments:

Prmod Bafna said...

Hmmm...! i've had an opportunity to listen to your show at a couple of occasions (since i'm not much of a radio listener) must say its pretty damn good! though somehow i think the quality of sound for some reason was not upto the mark.. which must be something to do with the whole gain thingy.. Lovely hosting though keep it flowing! :)

Unknown said...

:-) He he he. Nice post.. hope Shanks or Bells dont read it(I dont think even know that there is something called a blog).

Farrukh Naeem said...

I was on AIR Delhi once for 5 minutes as a guest and had fan calls coming for days after.

Radio works big time, specailly when there's no electricity.

Wish you the best in your radio adventures, and net journalism too.

Farrukh
copywriter & journalist

Abhinav said...

very informative post Anjaan highlighting how Radio station works and yea the Red Tapism too.
I am looking forward to ur show this Thursday.
PS: thanx for droping by at my blog

Dewaker Basnet said...

hey anjaan, that's a whale of experience u have man..heard u speak on the radio many times and also heard u off it..u are great equally man..
keep it up and thanks for dropping by my blog..
feels nice to communicate with a celeb man...
i know u must be smiling...u deserve the status dude:)
keep communicating.

Unknown said...

@ Everyone!
Thanx for the Compliments! Im truly flattered! Your humble music man is at your service at all times. Drop in a request and Ill Play it for you! Promise! :)

@ Shubha.
hahahaa. Yup ur right. I doubt if they've even gone online ever! *wink*


@ Edge oF reason
6 more Stations coming up in bangalore Alone. Fm Rainbow has to soon change policies. Or else they're gonna be run over!

@ farukkh
Since you like the radio experience, you should get back into it. Radio is the ultimate medium of here and now. The instant connectivity gives one a high more than anything else! :)


@ Dewakar
Maska.. mAsKAA... WILl get u everywhere~
Right now im wishing u were a woman!
*grin*

Anonymous said...

well i have tune into ure program for hte past 3 years now n i must say u are definately class apart;)

Akila said...

hmmmm...radio jockey.....

anyways.....well...ya my worldspace is back at home and my shuffle is my saviour rite now.....going on an joan baez overdose rite now

Anonymous said...

hey....i remember the time u used to call up as a listener on Tuesday Tunes to Darius and Rohit....have heard ur shows too.. not bad really..All the best!!

freespirit said...

dude...great post. And Amu is hotter in person! :-) And where is my lunch?

Anonymous said...

Hey Anjaan ,
Enjoyed reading your blog. It was very well written ...especially the one on AIR. You are excellent on air, and have no lack of confidence . I am sure you will be even more succesful and famous than you are now. Good luck and keep blogging.
Anil Abraham

Unknown said...

@ A.C.
Thanx so much ac. All through my schooling years, I was a "class apart" too. *wink*.
I guess the habit just continues

@ NEssa
"Meow!!!"

@Akila
Hmm..
Joan is Passe. Listen to Corinne
?
British Soul at its best! :)


@Anonymous 1
Yup those were my Humble beginnings. Way back in 1998. On a show called tuesday tune.
And Rohit (Barker) And a certain George were the jocks.
I later moved on to host the show myself. I guess they got fed up of me calling! *grin*

@FreeSpirit.
Ammu thinks ur quite a hottie too. I know its the woman's day season and all, But hey! Hellloo!!! lol

@Anil Abraham
Thanx so much Appukuttan Ungill! Ur recent radio exploits are fantastic i say! My louve to Redheeka! :)
Lets Connect?

Anonymous said...

What????????????????
U are Appukuttan Uncle?
(jaw dropping...eye popping recation)

Trivial said...

Now is this de javu or a pinching reality..Must not say on the internet and the speed of the airwaves, they are fast.
Tuesday Toons and Sony Music and Indu and the Studio and Jayanth and the DOs and the list is never ending and the Shabbeer, Anita, Rohit.. whatever be it, It was fun.
OK to add to what is mentioned about AIR I must polish its sagging techno savvy image a bit by sharing the grandeur plans of FM Rainbow.
AIR has woken up to the needs of the Technology and has moved to the Digital era with Asia's Largest Digital Radio Broadcast setup here in Delhi. The studio has a digital Console with Automated Playback Software used by the likes of Deutchevelle,VOA and Radio Australia etc and have a digital Phone in Console capable of conferencing 10 callers and a Configurable Delay and Dump options, decent redundancy built in, Modern style studios with an attaché soundproof for the guests to be housed or a live band to be hooked up to. We went live from this so called digital set up sometime in Aug last year. The idea is to replicate the same all across the country in days to come (read century to come lol ) The only pain area that continues is the people who manage it, one still has to explain that the Mike is hollow, or the gain is feeble, or the stereo balance is disturbed or the output is mono or the transmitter is lost. Another major change that has happened is FM Rainbow Delhi is being pushed as National FM which is presently patched to FM Rainbow in Goa, Hyderabad, in south, Complete Northeast, Northern states; few other cities are in the pipeline. As for Bangalore very soon it will be aired by the other small FM stations in Karnataka but the sad news is that only Kannada programmes will be up linked to those stations. FM Rainbow will be fun in days to come with instant connectivity happening from all across the country. Syndicate Broadcasting is not allowed in Private stations so you won’t get to see this with Private stations as there are restrictions on airing one station from multiple frequencies.
Its real kick ass fun when you get to know that the caller you are talking to is calling you from some no where land in the village 1000 kms away or calling from a city which you had just heard of in your geography classes.
Today the only way to enjoy RJing the way its in Private Stations is to carry one’s ipod with his own play list and kick it in and leave your mind to concentrate on the content and the delivery of the show. Happy RJing and Happy Listening and yes I did see you in the Movie (sorry forgot the name) and I also remember that you joined that TV Channel in Chennai. Cheers 

Jina said...

hey...i have listened to ur shows wen i was in blore...mm..i feel a bit strange...u know knowin u as a stranger and commenting..and i never knew u wer someone whom i knew [i mean i loved ur shows]...hmm..:)...

hey u know faye?..she was frm my college..mounts!!![u can ignore this q if u dnt wanna answer]

Unknown said...

@Humdrum
The lure of money buddy. Rj's in private stations clock a minimum of 25k per month. experience jocks even get salaries as high as 70k-80k a month. AIR will never be able to match up.
And cheapest is not always the bestest! *cheeky grin*

@Anonymous!
Of course noT! lol. Im not that talented! ;)

@Fakhru
DUUUUUDDDEE!!
where have u been bro! sO GOOD to get back in touch with you! Its long since u shifted from us.
And its good to hear of all the progress AIR FM in Delhi is Doing. By the time it filters down to Bangalore, I'll have grey hair and grandkids! *smile*
Hope Syndicate broadcasting Kicks off well for the "underdogs" lol.
Yup I was with "SS MUsic" (but shhh. dont tell anyone)
And yeah the movie was called "phir milenge".
U've got spies on me, dontcha? lol
Keep in touch yo!

@Jina.
Hey, Dint know so many people actually listened! Thanx for the compliments! I owe u strawberries and icecream *wink*

U know me, still u dont, but then u do know me dont u? Ironic?

& Of course I know Faye! She's an absolute sweetheart. Shes now based out of Bombay and works for CNBC.
& Ur from MCC??? *evil grin*

Jina said...

Great!!!..i would deftly need dat strawberries n icecream..coz i hate chocolates n love strawberry n people find it so hard to understand dat..
n hey..no evil grin neede fr mcc..i was this poor country gal fresh frm malluland[still am] and got absolute shock of my life being there..u know y;)..bt then ya..i got outta it..n now wadin through the much bigger starlit mumbai...how life transforms u...:)

Trivial said...

Trust me those were the days, my friend (Mary Hopkins). Yes I moved out of Bangalore in 2002 and joined private station for 2 days in Delhi and realised what a pain it is to run one's life with a full time radio job. Then struggled to get in at FM Rainbow and this time managed to break into the local segment of it (Hindi Music, Bilingual Presentation) and since then have been tempted time and again to leave my full time IT job and join Radio instead, but thankfully so far the better sense has managed to prevail.
Well being into Radio and at the National Level even though one works for City centric FM Radio one ends up getting syndicated news from all across the country.So no spies on you but you know how ones eye pop out seeing someone known, someone of your own out there.Ikjactly, and Congratulations am waiting to be invited for your marriage and hopefully am there in Bangalore sometime in June, will catch up if yours truely is not all too busy :). Keep Rocking buddy!!!

Tanveer said...

Hi anjaan,
New players may come and go, but I doubt you will loose your niche audience. I stayed in Bangalore for 4 years and I listened to Rainbow whenver the english music slot used to come. Retro/80s rock is hardly played anywhere now. So unless I start getting 128kbps in my car to listen to online radio stations(The play good rock) I doubt Rainbow will go off my car stereo preset.